Guelph Grammar School
Publication Date: 1963
The President of the Society, Mr. High Douglass, has come across some interesting information regarding the time and cost of the erection of the old Guelph Grammar School which was the precursor of the Guelph High School, which in turn became the Guelph Collegiate. This building was the one that faced on Paisley Street at Arnold. The list below was selected from a long list of expenditures published in the Guelph Herald for January 14,1851. The paper is in the Guelph Public Library. from the auditor’s detailed statement of the receipts, expenditures and liabilities of the Municipal Council of the County of Waterloo from 10 th February 1849 to 25 th January 1850 in terms of Act 12vic., caps 80 and 81 James Armstrong, erecting Grammar School House.
Total £ 199.9.11
Expenditures from 10th October 1849 to 25 th January,
On account of erecting Grammar School
J. Donaldson was the surveyor