Notable Dates In Connections with Colleges
Publication Date: 1966
From: The Guelph Daily Mercury, Tuesday, November 30, 1965.
Ontario Agricultural College:
|1869||- The Hon. John Carling proposed the establishment of a School of Agriculture in Ontario.|
|1874-1879||- William Johnston appointed principal. His regime saw a firm foundation laid for the future.|
|1874||- June 1: Guelph had 31 students in residence at the School of Agriculture and Experimental Farm.|
|1879-1904||- James Mills appointed president.|
- February 11: Act of Legislature created the Ontario Agricultural College and Experimental Farm, Guelph.
- Associate Diploma officially approved.
|1886||- Three-year course organized.|
|1888||- Five candidates granted the B.S.A. degree.|
|1889||- First issue of OAC Review appeared.|
|1893||- February: Dairy school opened.|
|1901||- Massey Hall and library completed.|
|1902||- B.S.A. program extended to four years.|
|1903||- Macdonald Institute opened.|
|1904-1920||- George C. Creelman appointed president.|
- New buildings completed, including field husbandry and poultry buildings, as well as a new dining hall.
|1918||- First woman admitted to regular long course in agriculture.|
|1920-1928||- J. B. Reynolds appointed president.|
|1920||- Mills Hall completed.|
|1924||- Opening of Memorial Hall.|
|1926||- Degree for a Masters of Science established.|
|1928-1947||- G. I. Christie appointed president.|
|1932||- New Administration Building opened.|
|1941-1944||- No. 4 Wireless School stationed at the College.|
|1947-1950||- W. R. Reek appointed president.|
|1947-1948||- Eight grade 13 papers required for admission to the
first-year of degree course.
|1950-1962||- J. D. MacLachlan appointed president.|
|1959||- Department of Extension Education opened.|
- Became part of Federated Colleges.
- Became part of the University of Guelph as a founding College.
- School of Landscape Architecture opened.
Ontario Veterinary College:
|1861||- Professor Buckland sent to Scotland where Professor Dick recommended Andrew Smith to head a veterinary school in Canada.|
|1862||- Ontario Veterinary College granted a private charter.|
|1866||- First class of three men graduated as veterinary surgeons.|
- E. A. A. Grange appointed principal.
- Closer affiliation with the University of Toronto was affected.
- C. D. McGilvray appointed principal.
|1922||- College transferred to Guelph.|
|1945||- Andrew L. MacNabb appointed principal.|
|1946||- Degree changed from Bachelor of Veterinary Science to Doctor of Veterinary medicine.|
|1949||- 46-acre experimental research station set up. Course lengthened from four-years to five-years.|
|1952||- T. Lloyd Jones appointed principal.|
|1955||- Permission obtained from University of Toronto to give a complete graduate program.|
|1959||- Medical-surgical building opened with the most advanced facilities on the continent.|
- College celebrated its 100th birthday.
|1964||- Became part of the University of Guelph as a founding College.|
- New building for avian pathology, wildlife diseases and virology opened.