Gleanings From The Files
Publication Date: 1965
Please note that due to the digitization process typographical and grammatical errors have occurred in the articles. We are working to re-edit all articles on our website. Please be patient with us as we work to solve this problem. Thank you - the GHS Team.
From the Guelph Daily Mercury files.
March 15, 1881, Board of Education meeting:
“Mr. Newton called the attention of the Board to the desirability of building a house for the caretaker of the High School. They were paying $72 a year rent for him now, and with an expenditure of $500 could put up a house.”
March 22, 1881:
John Marriott’s salary was recommended to be raided from $250 to $275 annually. (John Marriott was the caretaker of the Exhibition Park; he planted all the fine trees there today and planted trees on all the main streets.)
February 16, 1888, Obituary of Mrs. Dr. McGuire, in part:
“The deceased had spent all her life in Guelph. Born in the old Mitchell homestead on the Eramosa hill in 1841, she passed her life there until her marriage to Dr. McGuire in 1864. Her father was the late John Mitchell who came to Guelph in the service of the Canada Company in 1832 and for his work as surveyor in laying out the future city, he received a block of land on the Eramosa hill, where the house stands and stretching backwards beyond the hospital. He died three years before her marriage in 1861… She leaves no children, but has four brothers – Mr. Richard Mitchell, City Clerk; Mr. Robert Mitchell, solicitor; Rev. William Mitchell, Fort Worth, Texas; Mr. James Mitchell, Montana; and one younger sister, Mrs. Thomas Goldie (Emma) of Guelph, as well as her aged mother. Rev. R. J. Beattie, Knox Church, conducted the funeral services. The pallbearers were: Messrs. James Goldie, Edwin Newton, John Campbell, Samuel Hogskin, Dr. Lett and Archibald Frew.”
March 1, 1888:
“Dr. Grenside paid $1,000 for a horse, ‘Orange Boy’, imported by Mr. Lowes of Brampton."
March 15, 1888:
Mr. Charles Davidson had a sketch of Guelph drawn in 1845 from a point near the corner of Grange and Stuart streets. It was drawn by Mr. D. J. Kennedy of Philadelphia, a brother of Mrs. Davidson’s.
March 29, 1888:
"A Mount Forest merchant who believes in the old saying, 'See a pin and pick it up and all the day you’ll have good luck,' saw a pin in front of the post office the other day. While stooping to capture it, his hat rolled out into the street, two suspender buttons gave way, his collar split open and his store teeth, which cost him $13 when new fell out and broke the walk. He picked up the pin, however."
April 5, 1888:
It is mentioned that Mr. Joseph Garrard was ill. This raises the question whether he was, in fact, 'Seaman' Garrard, or a son or relative of the former owner of the White residence on Eramosa Road.